Bangladesh has been devastated by Cyclone Sidr which struck the country on the 15th November. The SW of the country was hit by winds of up to 240kph in what has been described as the worst cyclone to hit Bangladesh in years. Estimates of the death toll currently stand at over 2000 people. So what were the causes and effects of the cyclone? See the links below for more information and video and photographic footage of the cyclones effects.
Photo Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncultured/2062220712/
So how do cyclones form? See this excellent article on the Newsround site.
- Bangladesh Toll more than 2,000 (BBC)
- Cyclone Sidr destroys homes in Bangladesh (Times Online)
- Aid battle for Bangladesh Victims (BBC)
- ‘The most devastating storm of our lives’ – personal accounts of Cyclone Sidr (BBC)
- Bangladesh hits poor hardest (BBC)
- Bangladesh Cyclone Kills 100s (BBC)
- Video – aerial views of the devasted area (BBC)
- Video – victims of the cyclone speak of their suffering (BBC)
- In Pictures – Bangladesh Cyclone – Newsround (BBC)
- In Pictures: Bangladesh Cyclone Homeless (BBC)
- Bangladesh assess cyclone damage (Guardian)
- Bangladesh after Cyclone Sidr (Guardian)